ViCTOR – Keeping kids safe in their zones
What is ViCTOR?
In 2013 the Victorian Paediatric Clinical Network (PCN) funded a joint proposal by The Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) and Monash Children’s Hospital to develop a set of Statewide Paediatric Observation and Response Charts, now known as ViCTOR (Victorian Children’s Tool for Observation and Response).
Launched in 2014, the 5 age-specific track and trigger ViCTOR charts were designed in accordance with the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards and the guiding principles outlined in the National Consensus Statement: Essential elements for recognising and responding to clinical deterioration (ACSQHC, 2010).
ViCTOR charts utilise the most recent evidence in paediatric vital sign parameters as well as human factor elements such as colour, font and layout to assist clinicians to recognise and respond to clinical deterioration in paediatric patients. The ViCTOR charts are available for any health service with paediatric patients aged 0 – 18 years* and are designed to be used in conjunction with the individual health services paediatric observation procedure and paediatric escalation of care procedure.
There are 3 types of VICTOR charts available for use depending on organisation size, paediatric capacity and presentations.
1. ‘ViCTOR’ designed for inpatient wards,
2. ‘ViCTOR URGENT CARE’ designed for rural services and
3. ViCTOR Neurological
The key elements of the vital sign charts are:
- All observations are visualised on one page (A3 portrait)
- Each chart varies in vital sign increments according to the specific paediatric age group.
- Heart rate, respiratory rate and blood pressure all scale in smaller increments (e.g. 5mmHg) compared to adult charts indicating that ‘small changes can imply bigger concerns’
- Modifications are viewed in-line with the corresponding vital sign.
*not currently recommended in Special Care Nurseries
What is included in the ViCTOR package?
Once your hospital/organisation registers to use ViCTOR, they will receive the following:
- ViCTOR implementation & procedural guide
- Order codes for ViCTOR charts, lanyard and assessment guide
- ‘Commitment to purchase’ letter for Allanby printers
- Link to the ViCTOR instructional video
- 3 x ViCTOR promotional posters (printable)
- Suggested audit tool in hard and electronic format
- Suggested bedside folder option
ViCTOR a State finalist
The ViCTOR team were thrilled to be finalists in the 2015 Victorian Public Healthcare Awards. The ViCTOR project was Highly Commended in the ‘Premiers Award for excellence in supporting the health workforce. Pictured below the ViCTOR Team (L to R) Dr Sharon Kinney, The Royal Children’s Hospital/The University of Melbourne, Dr Annie Moulden, Monash Children’s and Jen Sloane The Royal Children’s Hospital/Victorian Paediatric Clinical Network.